The most eagerly anticipated Apple announcements are iPhone updates. iOS upgrades not only add new features and repair bugs from earlier versions, but they also improve the device’s security.
No one wants to miss out on them, especially if there are any technological difficulties.
However, the best techniques for resolving the iPhone update failure issue are listed below. All iPhone models and iOS versions are supported, including iOS 10, iOS 11.1.4, and future releases.
Methods for resolving the issue ‘iPhone software update failed’
1. Check the status of the network
When updating iOS, make sure you have a constant high-speed internet connection. The success of the iPhone update is determined by the speed of your Internet connection.
While the update is running, close all apps and do not download any new content to your iPhone.
2. Retry after a few hours have passed
When Apple releases a new iOS version, millions of people all over the world try to connect to its servers to download it. This naturally generates a lot of traffic on Apple’s website, which makes it difficult for your device to connect to the server. As a result, the ‘iPhone software update failed’ error appears. The recommended course of action is to wait a few hours before attempting to upgrade your iPhone again.
3. Start your iPhone again
The unsuccessful update error can be resolved by just restarting or rebooting your iPhone.
To restart your iPhone, follow these steps:
- When the slider appears, press and hold the Top (or Side) button.
- To switch off the iPhone, drag the slider.
- Press and hold the Top (or Side) key until the Apple logo appears.
4. Reset your iPhone’s network settings
If restarting your device does not solve the problem, the issue could be with the network settings on your device. Maybe your iPhone can’t connect to a Wi-Fi network because Wi-Fi isn’t working. Reset Network Settings will resolve any network-related issues that are preventing the upgrade from being completed. As a result, the error “iPhone software update failed” will be resolved.
On the iPhone, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings to reset the network settings.
5. iTunes is used to update the iPhone
Instead of downloading the software directly to your iPhone, use iTunes on a computer to update it.
How to Update an iPhone Using iTunes
- Join a Wi-Fi or Ethernet network with your PC.
- Download and install the most recent version of iTunes on your computer.
- Connect your iPhone to your PC via USB cable.
- Select your device in iTunes.
- To subscribe to the summary, click here. Look for an update > Update and Download
- Enter your passcode if prompted.
- The update will begin.
6. Your iPhone has free storage space
If your phone does not have enough capacity for the latest iOS files, the error ‘iPhone software update failed’ will show. Delete unneeded programmes, images, videos, cache, and garbage files, among other things, to free up additional storage space.
Tap Manage Storage under Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage to delete unneeded data.
Now try updating your iPhone to the most recent iOS version again.
7. Using IPSW Firmware, perform a manual update
By manually downloading the IPSW firmware files, you can upgrade your iPhone. Firmware downloads for certain Apple devices and iOS versions are known as IPSW files. These files can be used to manually upgrade iOS via iTunes.
When all other methods have failed to resolve the ‘iPhone software update failed’ error, use this option as a last resort.
To manually upgrade iOS on your iPhone, follow these steps:
- To get the IPSW file for your PC/Mac, go to https://ipsw.me/.
- Choose your product (iPhone/model) and iOS version to upgrade. Select “Download” from the menu.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer.
- Open iTunes.
- In iTunes, choose your iPhone.
- To find the IPSW firmware file, do the following:
- On a computer running Windows: In iTunes, hold down the SHIFT key and select Update.
- On a Mac, press and hold the OPTION key when clicking Update in iTunes.
- Select the IPSW file you downloaded on your computer from the list and click it. Choose
- The iOS upgrade has started.
Will the iOS update result in data loss on your iPhone?
Data is not lost with a smooth iOS update on the iPhone. If the update process is stopped by a power outage or an error prevents iOS from being updated, you may lose your existing iPhone data. Before updating your iPhone to the latest iOS version, make a backup of your data in iTunes or iCloud.
If you do lose your iPhone data, though, Stellar’s iPhone Data Recovery Software can help you recover it. The software is useful in the following cases of iPhone data loss:
When you don’t have a backup plan in place
You have a backup but couldn’t find it in iTunes or iCloud.
Stellar Data Recovery for iPhone is a secure to download DIY software. It searches and restores images, videos, contacts, call history, Camera Roll, Photo Stream, WhatsApp, WeChat, Line, Viber, Tango, and Kik Messages, among other things.